Back-Pal wants to make Back-Pal websites easy for you to navigate and Back-Pal Products easy for you to use. We are constantly improving Back-Pal websites and Back-Pal Products to make them more user-friendly.
Back-Pal may collect both Personal Information and Non-Personal Information. “Personal Information” means any information that can be used to identify you. Some examples of Personal Information include your name, address, email address and phone number. “Non-Personal Information” means information that on its own cannot be used to identify you. Some examples of Non-Personal Information include usage data relating to Back-Pal websites and Back-Pal Products, language preferences and Back-Pal website page views.
Information may be aggregated and/or anonymized. When information is aggregated, it is combined with information about other customers and users. When information is anonymized, Personal Information is removed from collected data and the remaining portion of the data, containing only Non-Personal Information, is repurposed for internal or external use, such as, for example, to determine how many users of a particular router include an Internet-enabled television in a home network environment, or how many users viewed a particular website video or advertisement. Aggregated information that includes Personal Information is considered Personal Information until it has been anonymized. Anonymized information is considered Non-Personal Information. In general, usage data collected when you visit Back-Pal websites or use Back-Pal Products is both aggregated and anonymized so it does not identify you personally and is therefore Non-Personal Information.
The Back-Pal websites and Back-Pal Products are not directed to, nor does Back-Pal knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 13. If we are informed that we have collected the Personal Information of a child under the age of 13, we will delete that Personal Information from our systems.
How We Collect Information
We may collect and process the following data about you:
Information you give us. If you fill in forms on Back-Pal websites or correspond with us by phone, email or otherwise, you may be providing us with information about you, which may include Personal Information. This includes information you provide when you register on Back-Pal websites, register or return a Back-Pal Product, subscribe to any of our services, search for a product, place an order on Back-Pal websites, participate in discussion forums or other social media functions on Back-Pal websites, enter a competition, promotion or survey, participate in a training session or other event, download firmware, software and apps, or when you report a problem with Back-Pal websites or Back-Pal Products or otherwise request support. Personal Information you give us may include your name, address, email address, phone number and other contact information, financial and credit card information and any other information that can be used to personally identify you.
Information we collect about you. We may automatically collect information when you use Back-Pal websites or Back-Pal Products, including:
• Technical information, including the Internet protocol (“IP”) address used to connect your computer or other device to the Internet, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and language preferences. This information is all normally provided by your web browser, and we do not specifically request it.
• Information about your visit to Back-Pal websites, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (“URL”) clickstream to, through and from Back-Pal websites (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times; download errors; length of visits to certain pages; videos watched; page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs); and methods used to browse away from the page.
• Any phone number or email address used to contact customer support.
• Usage data about how and when you use Back-Pal Products, other devices that are connected to Back-Pal Products and what features of Back-Pal Products you use.
• Technical information and data gathered when your Back-Pal Products are connected to the Internet, such as how many and which devices are connected to your home network, when you use the devices and the amount of network traffic generated. We also collect environmental data when you use certain Back-Pal Products, such as utility settings, temperature and light readings in the home, motion detection and alarm events.
• If you consent, certain apps may collect information about your location. If you do not want this information collected, do not consent, or consult your device manual for instructions on how to change location settings.
Information we receive from other sources. We work closely with third parties who provide services to us (including, for example, business partners, subcontractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and we may receive information about you from them.
How We Use Information
We may use the information we collect for a number of purposes. These purposes will be consistent with the reason you provided the information to us or for a directly related purpose. The uses we make of such information include the following:
• To set up an account for you on Back-Pal websites or Back-Pal Products.
• To facilitate your purchase and/or download of Back-Pal Products.
• To authenticate use of your account or purchases and/or use of a Back-Pal Product.
• To register your Back-Pal Product in our product database.
• To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us.
• To assist you with customer support.
• To communicate about and administer participation in customer promotions and surveys.
• To provide the Back-Pal Products you request.
• To provide you with information about the Back-Pal Products you use, such as new features, bug fixes, service downtimes or upgrades.
• To help us develop Back-Pal Products and improve current Back-Pal Products.
• To provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about goods or services we feel may interest you. We (or selected third parties) will contact you by electronic means only if you have opted-in to receive marketing information. “Opt-in” means that you have taken an affirmative action to receive information, such as by checking a box or clicking a button.
• To notify you about changes to Back-Pal websites and Back-Pal Products and changes to our terms, conditions and policies.
• To administer Back-Pal websites and Back-Pal Products for internal operational purposes, including troubleshooting, data and statistical analysis, testing, research and survey purposes.
• To improve Back-Pal websites and Back-Pal Products and to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer or device.
• To ensure the security of Back-Pal websites and Back-Pal Products.
• To monitor and regulate interactive features of Back-Pal websites and Back-Pal Products that you may choose to participate in, including online forums and chat rooms relating to Back-Pal Products.
• To help you navigate Back-Pal websites.
• To help you access and use certain features of Back-Pal Products remotely and to help you monitor and safeguard your home and home network.
• To provide you with information and recommendations about Internet and utility usage in your home.
• To measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others who visit Back-Pal websites and to deliver relevant personalized advertising to you and others.
• To determine which aspects of Back-Pal websites and Back-Pal Products are most useful to you and other users of Back-Pal websites and Back-Pal Products.
• Within Back-Pal for purposes of data processing or storage.
• With business partners, service vendors, authorized third-party agents or contractors to provide a requested service or transaction, including processing orders, hosting websites, storing your information, providing email communications on our behalf and providing customer support. We only provide these third parties with the minimum amount of Personal Information necessary to complete or provide the requested service or transaction, and we do not allow third parties to use your Personal Information for a different purpose than what was disclosed to you.
• With service providers, advisors or other third parties to the extent reasonably necessary to proceed with the negotiation or completion of a merger, acquisition or sale of all or a portion of our assets. If Back-Pal merges with or acquires or is acquired by another entity, Personal Information would be transferred as a whole to the successor entity.
• To comply with the law or legal process (such as responding to subpoenas or court orders), to comply with government reporting obligations and to exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims.
In addition, we may share aggregated and anonymized Non-Personal Information, including usage data about Back-Pal Products, with third parties for a variety of purposes, including to analyze trends about home networking and utility use, to show third parties how their products could work with Back-Pal Products and to generally improve home networking. Weve taken steps to ensure that this information cannot be linked back to you and we require third parties to keep all shared information in its anonymized form.
Any third parties with whom we share your Personal Information are required to maintain the confidentiality of the information and are prohibited from using it for any other purpose. We will take all reasonable steps to make sure these third parties comply with the same privacy principles that govern our collection of your personal information.
You have the right to ask us not to process your Personal Information for marketing purposes. We will inform you (before collecting your Personal Information) if we intend to use your Personal Information for marketing purposes, or if we intend to disclose your Personal Information to any third party for marketing purposes.
New Back-Pal Products
Where We Store Your Information
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, various locations globally, including the United States. It may also be processed by Back-Pal staff or contractors operating outside your country of residence (including, if you are in Europe, outside of the EEA, or, if you are in Australia or New Zealand (ANZ), outside of ANZ) who work for us or for one of our suppliers. Such staff may be engaged in, among other things, the fulfilment of your order, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support services. We also use cloud-based applications and services to store and process your Personal Information, which may result in your Personal Information being stored outside your country of residence (or the EEA or ANZ).
Accessing and Updating Your Personal Information
We need your help in keeping your Personal Information accurate and up to date, so please notify us of any changes to your Personal Information. You can access and update your Personal Information and communication preferences at any time in the following ways:
• By clicking the “Unsubscribe” link in any email you receive from us.
• By sending an email to email@example.com. Please be sure to include your name, email address and specific relevant information about the information you would like to change or the material that you no longer wish to receive.
• For many Back-Pal websites and Back-Pal Products, by signing in to your online account located at the URL provided when you signed up for the Back-Pal website or service.
We will honor your reasonable request to:
• Correct your data if it is inaccurate.
• Transfer your Personal Information to a third party.
• Delete your Personal Information, unless we are required to retain it by law.
• Provide you with a copy of Personal Information held on our current records at no charge, or for a reasonable charge if records must be accessed from backed up or archived records.
We note again that, if you choose to no longer receive marketing information from us, we may still communicate with you about other matters, such as product and service updates for Back-Pal Products you have purchased and customer support matters.
Retention of Personal Information
Cookies, Web Beacons and Other Web Tools
We use automatic data collection tools like cookies, embedded web links and widgets (collectively, “web tools”). These web tools collect certain information that your browser or your mobile device sends to Back-Pal websites and Back-Pal Products, such as computer IP address, browser type and service provider. In addition, Back-Pal uses small pieces of code called web beacons. Web beacons allow a website to transfer or collect information through a graphic image request. This allows Back-Pal to collect information such as the address of the page you are visiting, the address of the referring page you previously visited, what browser or mobile device you are using, and your display settings. Back-Pal and its advertising partners use web beacons, for example, to find out if advertising on Back-Pal websites and other websites that contain Back-Pal ads is effective, or if certain videos on Back-Pal websites are being viewed.
Back-Pal may use web tools for the following purposes:
• To identify the users country and language and distinguish you from other users of Back-Pal websites.
• To save your registration information for future use on Back-Pal websites and services.
• To allow customer surveys to appear or not appear to customers.
• To optimize your browsing experience by preloading certain features of Back-Pal websites and services on future visits to make loading times faster and more efficient.
• To understand how you use and interact with Back-Pal websites and services.
• To customize and provide you with a more personal experience when visiting Back-Pal websites or our advertising partners websites or when using Back-Pal Products.
• To improve Back-Pal websites and services.
• To count visitors to Back-Pal websites and Back-Pal Products and analyze website traffic, such as how many visitors have come to the Back-Pal websites from advertisements on advertising partner websites.
You have the following choices regarding Back-Pal use of web tools:
• You may refuse to accept cookies by activating the appropriate setting on your browser or mobile device. However, many features of Back-Pal websites and Back-Pal Products may not work as intended if you disable cookies, and areas that require registration or authentication and Back-Pal website store transactions will not be accessible.
• For some Back-Pal Products, you can go into the account settings and select an option that will remove you from personalized advertising. If you select this option, you will receive generic advertising as part of these Back-Pal Products rather than advertising that has been tailored based on your preferences.
• Many advertising companies are members of the Digital Advertising Alliance or the Network Advertising Initiative and provide opt-out choices on their websites.
In addition to Back-Pals use of web beacons on Back-Pal websites, we allow certain third parties who provide Back-Pal advertising on their websites to use their own web beacons within Back-Pal websites. In that case, if you click on or view a Back-Pal ad on one of our advertising partners websites and are redirected or go to the Back-Pal website, the advertising partner places a web beacon on your browser so that we can track advertising conversions (which let us know if an ad was effective). These web beacons will appear on your browser regardless of whether you have refused to accept cookies or indicated that you do not want to be tracked on Back-Palwebsites or on the Internet generally. However, they are only used by Back-Pal for the limited purpose of tracking advertising conversions and do not identify you personally in any way.
Third parties may collect information about your online activities over time and across different websites when you use Back-Pal websites. To avoid tracking by these third parties, you can exercise the choices above to reject cookies, although Back-Pal has no control over and cannot confirm whether these third parties honor the do not track browser choices you have made.
We strive to maintain reasonable administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the information collected by Back-Pal websites and Back-Pal Products. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not 100% secure. Although we will do our best to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee its security; any transmission is at your own risk.
It is important to note that if you use a computer or device that can be accessed by others, other people may be able to access unencrypted Personal Information. If you do not want your information to be available to others, exercise caution when using public computers or devices or when using any computer or device to which users unauthorized by you may have access.
We recommend that you take every precaution in protecting your Personal Information when you are on the Internet. For example, change your passwords often, use a combination of letters and numbers when creating passwords, and make sure you use a secure browser. You should also be aware that names that you give your Wi-Fi-enabled devices, home networks and services (also known as “friendly names”) may be detectable by others outside your home, so you should not use Personal Information as part of your friendly names.
Updates and Upgrades
Back-Pal Products may be updated or upgraded from time to time to provide additional features, address technical issues, and generally make your user experience better. Some Back-Pal Products include an auto-update feature, which gives us the ability to make updates automatically. You can change auto-update options by changing your settings within the Back-Pal Product account information. In very limited cases, updates may still be automatically applied, regardless of the auto-update setting. For example, we may provide an automatic update that prevents or fixes a security vulnerability or breach to your network.
Third Party and Social Media Linked Sites
How to Contact Us
Updated May 14 2016.